Sanctuary, Inc. will host events and initiatives this April for Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention Month.
The events will educate the public on the importance of consent, understanding healthy relationships and supporting survivors of sexual assault. They will also provide resources for those who have experienced sexual assault.
The following events and community initiatives will take place throughout April:
- “Wear Teal Week,” April 3-7, The color teal symbolizes healing and devotion. Join our TURN THE TOWN TEAL campaign by shopping the teal items at these participating businesses: Clayton’s Downtown Diner, Corner Coffeehouse, Davinci at Novadell, Downtown Nutrition, Heather’s Homemade Ice Cream, Milkweed Health & Harmony Emporium, The Mixer and Baked, Outer Limits Nutrition in Madisonville, Stella’s Soap Co. and Vansauwa’s Tacos and Vegan Eats.
- “Library book display & free lightbulb pickup,” Visit the Hopkinsville-Christian County Public Library and check out a book that brings awareness to sexual assault and healing. While you’re there, pick up a free teal lightbulb from the grab-and-go cart and help us Turn the Town Teal.
- “Teatime with Julie-Anna,” 4:30 – 6 p.m. Thursday, April 13 at Milkweed Health & Harmony Emporium. Guests will enjoy free tea and reiki sessions with Milkweed owner Julie-Anna Carlisle, local reiki master Michelle Rodriguez-Cook and sexual assault nurse Amanda Sholar. Attendees will receive free self-care swag and mental health workbooks.
- “Chalk the Walk,” Wednesday, April 19 on Sixth Street, Hopkinsville. Take a stand against sexual assault by joining us for Chalk the Walk. We encourage you to write messages of hope and healing along the sidewalks to show your support for the survivors of sexual assault. You can also support prevention efforts by sharing messages relating to the theme, “Drawing Connections: Preventions Demands Equity.” We will be providing chalk, as well as some potential messages to display, for participating businesses and government offices during the week of April 17-21, 2023. At 1 p.m. Wednesday, April 19, we will host a proclamation signing and brief program about sexual assault awareness and prevention on Sixth Street in Hopkinsville.
- “Denim Day,” Wednesday, April 26. Wear jeans in support of those impacted by sexual assault and encourage those around you to do the same! Read why your support of Denim Day matters by visiting denimday.org.
“Sanctuary works year-long to bring awareness and provide services for those affected by sexual violence,” said Executive Director Heather Lancaster. “The month of April is the national and dedicated month to help us bring the attention on the prevalence of sexual assault and how we can all do our part to keep our community safe.”
Sanctuary, Inc. invites members of the public to take part in these events and help raise awareness for Sexual Assault Awareness Month. For more information, visit our website at www.thesanctuaryinc.com or call Zirconia Vansauwa at 270-885-4572.